Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Breathe in the happiness

Peering down from the balcony level that sits right above the pool of the cruise ship I was on this weekend, I got to do some people watching. It interesting to see different characters of people you come across during life that open your thoughts to life and what you have seen and experienced. The cruise was mostly younger individuals. Since the cruise was short and affordable, it made it a perfect vacation for the younger generation. Our destination was the Bahamas, as even though we had been there before, it lent itself to some peace and serenity for my husband and I.

There from that balcony peering down was a group of young college girls dancing to every beat imaginable of this generation. One in particular had such life. The girl was beautiful; she would sing and dance to every beat. She danced with everyone she would befriend on the dance floor. She would close her eyes and take in the music. It was clear she was living the moment.

At 35, I felt I could see my past in her personality and happiness. Don’t misunderstand me, I am not old nor am I a sad soul by any means. But one thing that drives me crazy is knowing the absence of recognition to happy moments when I was much younger. My life has been full of living the moment but wondering what would come next.
In my youthful teens and 20s, dancing was my passion. The music made me breathe in pure happiness. Every step was the opportunity to enjoy my youth but behind that was always the desire to know the next step in my life.

I wanted to grow up to be independent, I wanted to graduate college to get a high paying job, meet someone to have kids. Now, looking back every moment was precious.
This blog will be completely dedicated to the things I could teach my daughter and tell her if I had the chance to do it all over again, what would be the things I would do different.
Calista, remember, life is not about the destination, it’s about the hills and valleys you must overcome to get there. Stop and breathe in the happiness.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Stop and breathe in the happiness...hmmm...I could certainly use the advice. Lucky daughter you have! :D